[meteorite-list] I know what it looks like. . .

From: Michael Murray <mikebevmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 18:14:40 -0600

Hi David, other interested list members,
The Lone Ranger could have been up there on that mountainside in those
woods, I don't know. If he had been, he would have probably had iron
on his hip, which sometimes while up in the thick timber by myself, I
wished I'd had on me. Pepper spray just doesn't seem to be the right
thing to have somehow. A 357 or a 32 Winchester Special would be
more comforting, if you know what I mean. And then too, what good is
a prospector's pick with a 16" handle. Probably not much. I doubt if
a mountain lion would care if his prey was carrying a 16" prospector's
pick or, for that matter, if he was swinging a metal detector, eh?

Anyway, by my reference to performing bulk density testing, I meant I
was following the steps mentioned in the Field Guide to Meteors and
Meteorites by O. Richard Norton and Lawrence A Chitwood. Page 254.
Step 1, weigh the specimen. Step 2, zero out the scale with a
container of water sitting on it. Step 3, weigh while specimen is
suspended in the water. Then divide the specimen weight by the
suspended specimen weight to get the g/cc. Once I had done this, I
compared the result with the chart in the Guide on page 253 just to be
sure I was somewhat correct in my testing. Looked to me that the
7.75g/cc was right in the ballpark for an iron but then I have to say
that I don't know fully what man-made iron average bulk density weight
is so it could be man-made just the same. From what I can read on the
net, man-made iron bulk density average should be comparable to an
iron meteorite bulk density average. My scale is a Palmscale 8, not
that that matters a whole lot but I believe it is a pretty accurate
little bugger.

All the best,
Mike in CO