[meteorite-list] "The Birth Environment of the Solar System"

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 00:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,
?
With all this talk about a new found Earth like Earth, I thought I would be good to?post this article to the List's way.
?
"The Birth Environment of the Solar System"
               Fred C. Adams
?
It takes a few pages of reading?before it gets to the good stuff about meteorites, but I found this as a?great read and introduction to a new found?look at the formation of our solar system and how the elements became the Earth, the Moon and our?METEORITES :)
?
ABSTRACT

This paper reviews our current understanding of the possible birth environments
of our Solar System. Since most stars form within groups and clusters,
the question becomes one of determining the nature of the birth aggregate of the Sun. This discussion starts by reviewing Solar System properties that provide constraints on our environmental history. We then outline the range of star-forming environments that are available in the Galaxy, and discuss how they affect star and planet formation. The nature of the solar birth cluster is constrained by many physical considerations, including radiation fields provided by the background environment, dynamical scattering interactions, and by the necessity of producing the short-lived radioactive nuclear species inferred from meteoritic measurements. Working scenarios for the solar birth aggregate can be constructed, as discussed herein, although significant uncertainties remain.
?
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1001/1001.5444v2.pdf
?
Shawn Alan