[meteorite-list] BLACK FRIDAY POP QUIZ Answer

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 03:19:43 +0100

Hi Richard,

that was also my answer :-)

But if I imagine, that Calcalong Creek could have been a trigger for the
legislation in Australia, which catapulted a whole continent and meteorite
nation N?2 into a meteoritic nirvana,
then the price for Calcalong was indeed high.
Though as it is an inanimate stone, we can't blame Calcalong for that, but
human brutishness.

Regarding the acquisition costs, the next expensive meteorites of all times,
must be those recovered by EUROMET, an cooperation by European universities
with the goal to recover new meteorites, seen the budget used and the number
and weights of their finds.

Followed by the Antarctic campaigns. Science costs.

With a large distance - on the lower end are those meteorites found by
commercially oriented people and private collectors.

And bottom are those, disappropriated from the finders - they were available
for giving up human decency and integrity. Something, which seemed to be at
least for a few a very low price.

Hence Calcalong had 19grams, so it would have cost like a top diamond. Not
that tragic, for the first lunar meteorite at its times.
Meanwhile, due to private activities, we arrived now partially at prices for
lunars below 200$ per carat.
I hope, those reading that list and still planning to introduce a ban of all
private activities and especially those entertainers, still blaming in media
the private sector to be so harmful to their science, will put that one day
in their pipes and smoke it.

" And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees,
books in the running brooks,

 sermons in stones,

and good in everything."

So let the people live.