[meteorite-list] More info about my source

From: Robert A. Juhl <bartraj2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:57:08 +0900

Hello Matthias, List,

Here is some more information about "Zhongguo gudai tianxiang jilu
zongji" (= Complete collection of records of celestial phenomena in
ancient China).

The book has 11 sections, including sunspots, auroras, meteor falls,
eclipses, novas and supernovas, comets, meteor showers, meteor
sightings, and so on. Many sections also have lists of uncertain
objects. Running well over 1,000 pages, it includes all official and
semi-official reports of celestial phenomena from ancient times to
around 1910, as well as well-sourced anecdotal reports.

To put together the sampling I posted, all I did was turn to the section
on meteor falls, pick out reports that included a mention of temperature
or odor, and translate them.

By the way, although the book claims to be "comprehensive," many
celestial phenomena are not included, such as reports of "vapors" that
were something other than auroras.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Robert A. Juhl, Tokyo (AD552 at mac.com)