[meteorite-list] Arizona strewnfields?

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:30:13 -0600

Pat,

I was also in AZ last winter but working on rotation in the Ukraine which
took me away when the Tucson gem show was on last year. My wife and I did
take a trip to the show in Quartsite where we met one of the Moroccan
dealers, who had a nice selection of rocks to look at. I am pretty sure I
should be able to make the Tucson show next year.

I also appreciate the heads up on desert safety. I emigrated from the
relatively benign land of Scotland ten years ago and took up residence in
British Columbia. I was of course completely used to being top of the food
chain, and finding fresh bear prints the size of dinner plates on a gold
panning exhibition had me retreating back to the car in short order. From
what I've seen of the south west deserts they also remain rather wild and
untamed places populated with things that can hurt you if you are not
careful. I got an amateur radio licence a few years ago so I can carry a
VHF handheld to bolster the emergency communication options, but arming
oneself with the knowledge to mitigate danger in the wilds in the first
place is good advice. Its a jungle out there.

I have seen all Ruben's excellent videos. He makes it look ridiculously
easy, and his enthusiasm is one of the main reasons I got interested and
wanted to have a shot at searching myself.

Best,
John