[meteorite-list] Tom Phillips Gallery listing on MT and Goodbye Tom

From: Paul Harris <paul_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:56:50 -0800

Dear List and Carl,

To Carl:

"I noticed that MT no longer displays a link to Tom's web site. What is up with that MT?"

Let me help you find the link we have to Tom's Gallery on
Meteorite-Times. On the right side of the page is a column with groups
of links. One of these groups is called "Meteorite Resources". If you
look down the list you will see "Meteorite Pictures / Collections /
Museums". If you click on this link you will see the listing to Tom's
Gallery.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/meteorite-pictures/

To Everyone:

It's truly sad that Tom Phillips is no longer on the m-list, nor will he
be sharing his amazing images with us anymore. All Tom wanted to do was
share cool beautiful views of meteorites in a way that we would have
never seen without him...

Below is an email I wrote to Tom. I've removed the name and subject but
the involved parties will know.

     Hi Tom,

     I've been mulling this around this morning because I don't want
     meteorite.com or your gallery to be caught up in any controversy...

     The fact that I've been thinking about this and you're writing me
     again
confirms that we are both on track knowing that these statements will
     indeed bring us into the conflict.

     My decision is to just present your wonderful images without the
     controversy. I'm much to busy to be involved in WWIII.

     If ******* wants statements about ^^^^^^^ included then maybe
******* can post them.

     Please let me know your thoughts...

     Paul

Tom was both used and condemned by members of this list who acted a
judge, jury and executioner. And what was Tom guilty of? Tom was
guilty of being non-political and having the insane notion that we would
be interested in seeing images of meteorites with questions.

On this Thanksgiving maybe we should all reflect back on all the joy and
wonder Tom's images brought us. Thank you Tom for the thousands of
hours you spent at eyepiece to bring us those incredible sights.

Maybe next time we can walk a few steps in other person's shoes before
we impale them with our deadly keystrokes...

Paul