[meteorite-list] Cometary meteorites

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:25:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jason, all -

What we know about the composition of the centers of comets is near zero.

If Tunguska can be associated with Comet Encke, then the spherules there might be some indication, but only of what's left of that particular comet.

If I remember correctly, Moss Lake is also associated with Comet Encke.

Aside from that, there is the "KT fossil" meteorite. There are several large circular holes in the surface of the Earth, surrounded by impactites, which have not been fully examined yet and which are likely to also contain comet samples.

In any case, we're likely soon to learn a whole lot more about Comet Schwassmann Wachmann 3, with very large (and very fast) samples possible in 2022.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas