[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:43:28 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I've been away from the computer for a couple of days and thought I'd add a
couple of other examples.

Portales Valley - One of the metal veined stones landed on a blue plastic tarp.?

The tarp melted where the metal veins of the stone had rested on it.? It
shouldn't be too difficult to determine a minium temperature that a similar tarp
would begin to melt.

Malaga - Here's an interesting example I ran across while researching some US
falls.? A man was searching for Indian artifacts in 1933 in SE New Mexico and
was headed back to his car when he observed the following:

?"...it became dusk by the time he reached the upper terrace, and the sky became

overcast with low hanging clouds.? While walking with his?eye on the horizon
ahead of him, watching the

crest of the valley wall, be saw a glowing object drop out of the sky, emerging
from the clouds and falling,

it seemed, not too swiftly, and at an angle somewhat approaching the vertical.?
It had a reddish appearance, he

stated, not unlike a spent ?Roman Candle,? becoming less bright?as it descended,
finally becoming entirely

extinguished as it approached the ground."

Later??the man found a fresh 160 gram chondrite.? The stone had abundant metal
in it and it was?initially?mistaken for a mesosiderite.

As for cold meteorites, we can't forget Colby that fell on July 4, 1917 and ?the
man who extracted it from the earth informs me that it was so

cold that frost immediately formed on its surface when exposed to the air.?

Cheers,

Frank
?

???