[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: David Norton <renov8hotels_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:03:18 -0700

Good morning list. This is actually a good topic for debate and is not so
easily answered by simple application of constants. There are several
variable factors here that require scrutiny before being able to determine
whether the temperature of any given meteorite would / could be hot upon
hitting the earth.

Thermal conductivity: This is dependent upon the composition of the
meteorite and specifically in the metallic percentage of the subject. The
internal temperature of a meteor during ablation would be relative to its
thermal conductivity, its size and its melting point. If the melting point
of an iron /nickel meteor is 1700 degrees, it would obtain a higher core
temperature than a stone of the same size with a melting point of 1200
degrees under the same flight conditions.

Elevation where ablation is discontinued: During ablation a meteor should be
heating through its dominant thermal conductivity. When ablation stops the
meteorite should begin to cool through the same conductivity process in
reverse. This relates to the amount of time any meteorite is exposed to the
effects of heating and cooling.

Velocity: This factor is related to the rate of fall and is not necessarily
a constant as is commonly repeated. The meteor has a velocity when entering
our atmosphere. Atmospheric drag is imposed on the body but is influenced by
the type of fall (ie. Stabilized flight or tumbling) and by the body
becoming more streamlined (oriented) through the effects of ablation.
Comparing two falling objects, higher velocity occurs for greater weight and
lower drag coefficient. An oriented meteorite would have a lower drag
coefficient and therefore have a higher velocity than a non oriented
meteorite of the same weight. This is relative to both the heating and
cooling of any given meteorite because of the amount of time (exposure) to
these conditions.

Flight path of the fall in latitude: The influence here is related to both
air temperature and height of the Troposphere. The temperature of any given
altitude is directly related to the temperature at sea level at the same
latitude. Using a constant of -3 degrees for every 1000 feet rise in
elevation, it can be conceived that the temperature at 30,000 feet is
different depending upon the season and the location. The troposphere has a
lower ceiling over the poles than at the equator and the sea level
temperatures in these locations are very different which would produce very
different temperatures at 30,000 feet. Remember also as the meteorite gets
closer to earth the air temperature is rising in the Troposphere, again by
the same factor in reverse (+3degress per 1000 feet). Again the velocity of
the meteorite would determine the amount of time the body is heating or
cooling.

I think it is conceivable under the right circumstances that a meteorite may
be warm or hot to the touch when impacting earth. ( I have not built a model
using these factors but please feel free)