[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:14:04 -0700

Sterling- I think you underestimate the effect of convective heat transfer
during cold flight. A fist-sized meteorite might fall for a good three to
five minutes through -40?C air, at around 100 m/s. That is long enough for
the entire stone to equilibrate to that temperature. In the last minute or
so of flight it will generally be in warmer air, and will therefore start to
warm up- but probably not to equilibrium. The critical point here is that
the meteorite will not maintain an interior temperature similar to its
temperature in space. The exception would be a larger stone that remains
hypersonic to a lower height, and therefore spends less time in dark flight.

We don't really care what the temperature was for the parent's millions of
years in space. For any given distance from the Sun, it shouldn't take more
than a few days to reach equilibrium, and any meteorite can be assumed to
come from a parent that was at 1 AU for that long. So the only real variable
is emissivity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory