[meteorite-list] sulphurous smell of meteorites (wasTemperature of meteorites)

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 04:47:15 -0700 (MST)

Mark:

Very good point!

As a grad student (long, long, ago in a distant...) I used to work with
various frozen gases, including hydrogen sulfide. It turns out to be more
dangerous/poisonous than hydrogen cyanide. However, the nose detects the
sulfide at much lower levels. The problem is that if the smell is strong
and soon goes away, either it has gone away or it is still there, your
nose has lost sensitivity to it and you will soon "go away."

Larry, still alive to talk about it.