[meteorite-list] Ram pressure question

From: Patrick Wiggins <paw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:04:13 -0700

Hi all,

Could someone please explain what "ram pressure" is?

Has it got something to do with when air is compressed it heats up so when a meteor passes through the atmosphere it compresses the air in front of it causing the air's temperature to rise and it's that heat that ablates all but the very small meteors?

Many thanks,

patrick
N Utah USA