[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:50:50 -0700

I'd be very cautious with reports of perceived meteorite temperatures. How
we feel temperature depends on many factors- the actual temperature of the
object, of course, but also the temperature of our skin, the ambient air
temperature, and perhaps most important, the thermal conductivity of the
object.

I think that in the majority of cases, the surface of the meteorite will be
fairly close to ambient temperature- probably not more than ten degrees
either way- which means that people will tend to be very poor estimators of
temperature.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory