[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:04:27 -0800

Are there ANY photos of any meteorite, taken *immediately* after it
fell? Within seconds, or even minutes?

I know some people have reported meteorites as warm, (e.g. Peekskill).
http://astro.wsu.edu/worthey/astro/html/im-meteor/strikes.html and
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/meteorites/what/index.php Then
this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg42288.html
and I'm sure there are others...

So is it that all meteorite falls are different and variable with
regards to temperature at the time of fall and is this why there is no
definitive answer to the Hot/Cold question?

Is it because some are warm, and some are cold? Does it depend on angle
of descent, speed, and composition of the body? All of the above? Does
the weather/temperature in the area of the fall have anything to do with
the temperature of the meteorite at the time of impact?

Lots of questions to ponder...

Regards,
Eric