[meteorite-list] "Weston" on e-bay another LISTING report them to eBay.

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:07:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers,

Well its seems this individual has another posting on eBay that will end in less then 23 hours. I think its best if everyone on the list that has an eBay account to report them. First of all they are in violation because they have it listed as an iron and Weston isn't, plus, its hematite from what Jason and others has said. I have reported this listing and if enough people report the listing it should be canceled, well we hope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1807-Western-CT-Weston-17-Meteorites-total-66-grams-/390261301841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add62e251

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

[meteorite-list] "Weston" on e-bay
Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Thu Nov 18 16:46:14 EST 2010

Hi, List,

Jason, You said: "...Either the seller was lied to, or he's passing them
on fraudulently/knowingly...." Maybe he/she just doesn't know, or have
enough knowledge and really believes these to be meteorites. The worst
thing about this, is that unsuspecting people who are also not
knowledgeable about meteorites will buy meteorwrongs "thinking" and
"believing" they are meteorites, which perpetuates the problem and it
spreads from there to the next person, and the next, etc...

How does one stop people selling something that's not or may not be what
they claim it to be, when that person could just be ignorant of the
authenticity of the item they are selling?

Eric

On 11/18/2010 11:38 AM, Jason Utas wrote:

> Hello Linton,

> On the contrary - both of the links that you posted are to auctions of

> botryoidal hematite specimens, and the seller has an additional

> auction with a collection of small hematite pieces.

> You can tell by looking for the round, bubbly shaped protuberances

> visible on the specimen featured in the first ebay auction you linked

> to. The second auction features a nice lamellar fragment of hematite

> as well - it spalled off of a larger fragment (the seller notes that

> it spalled off of *something* in the description, making it sound all

> the more like legitimate fraud to me).

> Either the seller was lied to, or he's passing them on fraudulently/knowingly.

> I sure wish ebay would do something about this sort of crap...

> Jason

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Linton Rohr<lintonius at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Hi folks.

>> I'll readily admit to being one of the lesser knowledgable members of this fine list, but these Weston specimens being offered on e-bay sure don't look like the piece I have. Or any chondrites I have for that matter.

>> Is some poor sucker bidding on slag here?

>> Linton

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390261289839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390261294519&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Shawn Alan