[meteorite-list] NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:13:40 -0700

Images can be deceiving. Certainly, the comet is not lit, except by
sunlight. As appears to be common with comets, it has a surface coating,
some sort of weathering, that results in an extremely low albedo. That isn't
apparent in an image that has had its white and dark points adjusted for
maximum clarity.

I don't think there is any doubt that the body is very cold in its interior,
and is made of some mixture of ices and stony material. The surface may well
approach room temperature, which is what is driving the boiling away of ices
that produces a coma.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory