[meteorite-list] Let's talk HEDO meteorites (was double standards)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:27:22 +0100

Hi Mike,

that concerns the polymict breccias among the HEDs, those wild regoliths,
full of fragments and clasts of different types, so to say.
Often these concrete-style ones. Hence not such ones like Millbillillie,
Stannern, Tatahouine ect.

There with these solified debris breccias you have a continuum.
If such a HED-breccia has less than 10% diogenitic stuff, then by convention
it's a polymict eucrite,
If it has more than 10%, it will be classified as Howardite.
Contains such a breccias more than 90% hypersthene or orthopyroxene than
it's called a polymict diogenite.

So it can happen, if you cut by chance off a corner from a polymict eucrite,
with especially much DIO-stuff inside, and hand that in for classification,
it can happen, that it will be classified as HOW.

A classifier can work only on the material he gets in for classification.
Therefore it can be helpful, if the person suspect the material to be paired
with another one (or if he's sure and knows exactly that it's the very same
material of an already existing number) to tell to the classifier his
opinion.

Best!
martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----