[meteorite-list] Not a missile -- a jet contrail

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 23:37:30 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hello Richard and Listoids,

The subject contrail/combustion byproduct/condensation trail was not made by a turbojet powered aircraft. There is only one trail and it displays a massive constant volume atypical of conventional multi-engine aircraft which display a separate condensation trail from each engine. High altitude can make an airliner's condensation trails look like a single artifact, but when seen closer you easily can count the engines by the individual trails.

The volume and density of this trail belie any water condensed trail I have seen from an aircraft. The trail of a rocket powered X15 isn't anywhere near as massive as this dude.. In my learned opinion, this missle was powered by a single (non-staging) big ass, solid fuel rocket engine. It looks like your standard submarine launched ICBM going down range to our Pacific Test Area.

Did you see the helicopter hovering in an observing position?

Best,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536

P.S. In another life I was the Director of Aviation Facilities for the Hughes Tool Co. and an ATP rated aviator.