[meteorite-list] Catalogue cards

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 07 Nov 2010 22:35:25 UT

Chris wrote: "I put mine on my computer alphabetically."

Hi Chris, Dennis, and List,

Just like Chris, I put my meteorites in my computer databases alphabetically:

Name, type, weight, dimensions, description [which includes shock and weathering degrees, total known weight
descriptive details (slice, part slice, thin section, personal descriptive notes, special features, Met.Bull.
info, etc.), provenance/source], price (in my case Euro currency). Here's an example:

Allende (01)*, CV3.2, 161.3 gr, 6.7x4.7x3.7 cm, individual with 50 % crust and numerous small chondrules
protruding through the matrix and coated with a thin layer of secondary fusion crust. Purchased from...**
Belongs to the oxidized subgroup: high magnetite/metal ratio in its chondrules and high Ni content of its
metal in chondrules and inclusions. The dominant sulfide phase is pentlandite. Price: ...**

* (01) = no. 1 of 10 Allende specimens in my collection
** Source and price omitted in this post for obvious reasons.

Of course, I also take pictures of my meteorites and my thin sections and
add pertinent info (see: online Encyclopedia of Meteorites for some examples).

A selection of the above-mentioned details is also to be found
on the labels that I glue onto the dividers of my collection boxes.

Here's a thin section example (database entry):

Gold Basin-d (16a), L4-6; br., thin section "d" from one of ...'s and ...'s finds. Gift from
.. Forsteritic chondrule measures 1.8 x 1.7 mm. Polysomatic chondrule with several sets of
parallel olivine bars displays triangular orientation and measures 2.6 x 2.0 mm. A large
elongated POP "aggregate" consists of abundant small crystals and measures approximately
3.4 x 2.0 mm. Large vivid purplish blue olivine crystal (0.8 x 0.7 mm) is in direct contact
with an orange-yellow pyroxene crystal (0.7 x 0.5 mm). And, again, a photo (or photos) also
exist.

Best wishes,

Bernd