[meteorite-list] Secret BLM maps battle of the Smithsonian

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 11:15:29 -0700

OK... lets be clear... Permitting is carried out by the BLM. Certain
minerals are locatable, certain minerals are leasable, and certain
minerals are salable. There is a distinct difference between ALL of
these, and regulation which govern each. Yes the BLM enforces the
regulations set by lawmakers on Capitol Hill. Yes the BLM governs and
issues permits. However, there is a clear difference between "policy"
and "law". Policy is NOT law.

Yes I agree it is a privilege that we as Americans are allowed to
collect on public land.

But I think you're mistaken... Individuals have EVERY right to collect
certain things from federal land with permission of course.

There are laws that specifically govern minerals, fossils, and
artifacts. With very specific laws which govern mining, and what's
considered a locatable mineral, leasable mineral, or decorative rock.

Yet meteorites have no specific law, or regulation. Why? Because the
mineral laws are used in lieu of, even if however very loosely and
certainly ambiguously. Sometimes the 1906 Antiquities Act is used...
Hmmm... That's confusing isn't it? Not really, because it allows the
BLM to pick and choose how to enforce "policy" not law.

I fully disagree... The federal government should NOT claim ownership of
meteorites, based on scientific interest. This is used as an
excuse/reason to seize meteorites (or anything) the government wants.
Period.

Artifacts have specific regulation. Fossils have specific regulation.

Meteorites don't. And that is hindering the advancement of meteorite
science and private sector collection and study, while it infringes on
our rights to collect. It's ok to go out and collect certain fossils and
artifacts right? Yet ALL meteorites belong to the government? Seems kind
of choosy...

Show me a law that says *specifically* that meteorites are owned by the
government. There is no such law.

People are scared to go out there and hunt and recover meteorites on
federal land for fear of losing them to the government. Why should we be
scared? That seems wrong to me. I guess it doesn't really matter,
scientifically speaking where a meteorite was found. does it? As long as
it's chemically analyzed and classified.

We should be able to hunt, recover, collect, and sell any meteorites
found on federal land. There should be a fair share split between the
government, Smithsonian, and the recoverer of the stone(s).

Eric