[meteorite-list] Secret BLM maps battle of the Smithsonian

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:11:39 -0600

You are mistaken about the law. EVERYTHING that sits on federal land belongs
to the federal government. There are no exceptions. Individuals have NO
right to take anything off federal land. It is entirely up to the discretion
of the managers of federal land to allow individuals the PRIVILEGE of
collecting something from federal land. Even where there are specific
exceptions in federal law, as for mining or limited mineral collecting,
enforcement is still up to the land management agencies.

I agree that the lack of any formal policy can make things difficult, but it
is important to remember that this is just that- policy.

Of course, it is all a matter of individual perspective. I fully agree that
the federal government should claim ownership of any meteorite found on
federal land that has a high scientific value. Of course, in practice, very
few meteorites found by collectors or hunters have much scientific value, so
there is no reason for the government to care if they are collected. All
that is needed is a simple permit system, but I doubt that will every
happen. This isn't exactly something that anybody in the relevant government
agencies puts much priority on.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory