[meteorite-list] Secret BLM maps

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:16:20 -0700

I can't not say something on this.

It is ABSOLUTELY about rights *and* the law. I do *NOT* praise the BLM.
I do however support them for their protection of *our* land. In that
they do a good job, and I'm thankful for the agencies effort on that
part. Aside from the infringement of the rights of the people to hunt,
recover, keep and collect meteorites on federal land course. And I agree
that YES the community should work with federal agencies to promote
"SENSIBLE" regulation as long as that regulation doesn't infringe on the
rights of the citizen to recover and collect meteorites legally on
federal land. Just as people should follow the regulations of the land,
those who regulate should not misinterpret a law for their own gain
either. It goes both ways.

Their use of the 1906 Antiquities Act is a misinterpretation of a law
that was NOT designed to protect meteorites. It was singed into law by
President Theodore Roosevelt to protect archeological sites and
artifacts from looters.

This law has, and is still now being used to seize meteorites found
legally on federal land by the people. That is an unarguable fact.

Artifacts are made by humans. Period.
Meteorites are NOT artifacts
Unless formed into an artifact by a HUMAN A meteorite is just a ROCK
(albeit an "interesting" one)
Certain Fossils are protected by specific Fossil laws
Certain Artifacts are protected by specific Artifact laws
Rocks are NOT fossils.
Fossils are rocks and there's an OBVIOUS distinction between the two.
Meteorites are rocks NOT Fossils.
Rocks are Minerals
Meteorites are Minerals
There are laws in place which govern minerals

There are no laws which govern meteorites directly. Only a
misinterpreted law used to aquire and seize scientifically important and
interesting "objects". Almost anything can be considered an object, and
anyone can claim something is "interesting" scientifically. This law is
VAGUE and hugely broad in scope with regard to meteorites. In fact it
does not mention meteorites at all. Which is why this bogus
interpretation infringes on the rights of the US citizen to hunt and
recover meteorites on federal land.

Agencies, scientists, hunters, private researchers, institutions and
collectors all, CAN work together to come to a reasonable and sensible
cooperative arrangement.

Share! Everyone can have their fair share... Science doesn't need it
all, the government doesn't need it all, and the hunter doesn't need it
all.

It's like kids on a playground fighting over the ball. The biggest bully
kids usually gets it and the teacher never sees...

I'm not exactly one for more laws or regulation, frankly I think there's
too much and it complicates things. The solution is very simple.

Stop all the CRAP and SHARE!

Regards,
Eric