[meteorite-list] Secret BLM maps

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:08:46 -0400

Hi Adam and List,

>We can't tell you anything about locations. In fact there are many
more petroglyphs and over a hundred caves that are not on;your maps
and we can't tell you anything about."

This is for the protection and preservation of the native rock art and
artifacts. I have photographed numerous locations only to return and to
find the petroglyphs missing or destroyed. One area 20' by 20'?
?overhang / wall was covered with numerous carvings and removed by
heavy equipment. At another location we found what looked to be a
petroglyph of a man on a horse with one arm. This area was explored
by?Major John Wesley Powell in 1869, the same fate could possible occur
at this location if it was public knowledge.

>I hope you were not in Oregon or Washington State when you talked to
this BLM officer. If you were, do not mention the word "meteorites"
because they are now off limits there due them being considered
treasure the last >year.

I contacted BLM in Oregon at the first of year for a project that we
were working on and was told it is ok to hunt for meteorites but you
may need a permit. Today I contacted another BLM field office and was
told by the BLM geologist it should be the same law State to State.
As in Nevada, you are allowed to collect up to 250 pounds of minerals,
rock and invertebrate fossils a year on BLM-administered land. I should
have more information by the middle of next week.

Sonny