[meteorite-list] Inside a fireball!

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:38:35 -0700

 Wow. This would be quite an experience!

 http://www.universetoday.com/2010/05/26/atlantis-crew-riding-inside-a-fireball/ ******************************************** At a post-landing news conference, STS-132 commander Ken Ham described the incredible visual effects the crew of Atlantis witnessed as they returnedto Earth today. As the shuttle was engulfed in plasma during the hottest part of their re-entry through Earth's atmosphere, they were in orbitaldarkness, which highlighted the orange, fiery glow around the shuttle. "We were clearly riding inside of a fireball, and we flew right into the sunrisefrom inside this fireball, so we could see the blue color of the Earth's horizon coming through the orange. It was amazing and just visually overwhelming." As evidence, ISS astronaut Soichi Noguchi captured Atlantis as that fireball, streaking though atmosphere, just as dawn approached. "Dawn, and Space Shuttle re-entered atmosphere over Pacific Ocean. 32 years ofservice, 32nd beautiful landing. Forever, Atlantis!" No
 guchi wrote on Twitter, posting a link to the image. Amazing. ********************************************* Photos and more text at link above. Linton