[meteorite-list] Don't skip looking at this!

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:59:14 -0700 (PDT)

I had the opportunity to discuss this with Apollo 16 Astronaut Charlie Dukes, once upon a time: finding a "meteorite" trail on the lunar surface with a prize at rest at the end of the track. He said they saw some dashed tracks clearly indicating something had skipped along the ground. There were tracks but, they did not see what made them.

 Before I better understood the big picture dynamics, I had wondered if an extremely low-angle, "glancing" encounter might allow a meteorite to brush the ground and go bouncing down the "fairway" a la Al Shepard(Apollo 14). And if so would there be a track to follow. We know now it is pretty much impossible for that scenario but seems we have good photographic evidence what types of lunar objects can.

Skipping back to you DG...
Elton