[meteorite-list] Lunar crust micrographs NWA 2977

From: Starsinthedirt at aol.com <Starsinthedirt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 22:41:53 EDT

Over three years ago Jim Strope, catchafallingstar.com (He has samples
for sale) provided to me a Lunar thin section of NWA 2977. This particular
slide has a nice band of crust!

I have shared many images of this slide but I was never able to get the
crust just right. Well now I have some images which you crust lovers may
like. There is a crystal structure in the melt!

I am working at a high level of magnification (1600X) in incident
(reflected) partially cross polarized light using oil immersion. This level of
magnification is approaching the workable limits of optical microscopes.

Once again, I will make an update to my micrograph gallery as soon as
possible but for now a set of the images has been put up on the Face Book Tom
Phillips' Meteorite Photomicrography Page
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119298541434619

Please take a look. This is a public page where every one can post
comments or even their own images.

Thanks, Tom Phillips