[meteorite-list] Making meteorite thin sections.

From: Starsinthedirt at aol.com <Starsinthedirt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 20:11:46 EDT

I must agree with Anne on this one.

Most (almost all) of my micrographs on my Meteorite Times Meteorite
Micrograph Gallery were of thin sections loaned from Jeff Hodges. He and Anne
combine efforts getting the best thin sections in the world made.

Because of the relatively high magnification I use, Jeff arranged for the
polished (uncovered) thin sections to all be polished to 1/4 micron on both
sides.

With out this level of quality, those eye popping images would not be
possible.

So this is an endorsement of Anne's thin sections and not an ad.

That being said, making thin sections is kind of a fun challenge that
every one should try at least once. I have made several to get a quick look
at some thing but I must admit, I have never been able to get a good
micrograph from any of my handy work.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 5/21/2010 5:50:42 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,