[meteorite-list] UPDATE: WI Meteorite Hunting Statistics +Strewnfield Map Data

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:15:58 -0700

DATA UPDATE:

The strewnfield map and data are coming along nicely. People are being
very generous with their find coordinates. Again I thank you all who've
sent me coordinates so far for your cooperation and participation. It's
much appreciated, and it's thanks to you that we're able to map this
field at all. So far there are 52 coordinates mapped to within a few
feet accuracy! Weights are accurate within .1g and I'm currently waiting
on 3 more locations that will be plotted tonight. Also, there's at least
another 3-4 coordinates that have been promised that I expect to receive
very soon. This brings to tentative total to 58-59 stones!

The strewnfiled is slowly revealing itself. In fact there's evidence
that once all the coordinates have been plotted, that two of the denser
groupings/clusters on the map may coincide with the first two
airbursts/fragmentation events that were visible in the video Milwaukee
and Sherrif's car video. This combined with the data being provided by
meteorite hunters and others in the field, as well as eye witness
sightings of the WI fireball, could make this meteorite strewnfield a
size which will surprise most everyone.

Those who've found stones and would like to add your find to the
strewnfield map please send over your data. Locals in the area who've
found meteorites, your stones are important as well. It's vital we get
as much data as possible to get a good visual of the distribution
ellipse on the ground. So far, the ellipse is approximately 2 miles
wide, but I can't yet say how long, that little tidbit you'll have to
wait for. ;) Unless of course you'd like to see the map tonight, then
simply send over your meteorite location data. I'll share, really I will!

In the interest of openess and sharing I'd like to invite anyone working
closely with universities, labs, schools, museums and/or scientists to
please contact me if you'd like to receive this data as well.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA