[meteorite-list] Meteorite legistration

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:02:56 +0100

Yes there are good and bad aspects to both sides of this eternal debate.

On the one hand you could argue it could depend on when the rock fell,
an old rock would have been there since before the land owner purchased
it, so it would naturally then be the landowners, whereas if it fell
yesterday then it is sorta like if someone throws your best coat onto
another person's land - the coat still belongs to you even though it's
on their land.

There is an argument for very recent falls being made the property of
the discoverer/finder as they have only just came from space (just coz
it touched their ground for a few hours should this make it theirs?)-
However and it is a big however - who the hell is going to let you hunt
on their land if they suddenly have no claim on the rocks you find ??

So for that reason I guess it's better that it just belongs to the
landowner by default. In any case if it all got too political the
government could just claim all space rocks to be state property!

Let sleeping dogs lie...

Mark