[meteorite-list] Thanks, Michael!

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:19:42 -0700

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a VERY nice
(overwhelming,
really) package from Michael Cottingham in today's mail. In it were
copies
of four separate Dodgeville and Platteville papers containing stories
about
the big fall in Livingston/Mifflin -- mementos that I wish I had taken
the
time to chase down while I was there a few weeks ago.

But the BIG surprise in the package was a very generous 4+ gram slice
from Michael's latest 105.1-gram find there a little over a week ago! I
don't think Michael has discussed this discovery on the list yet, so
I'll leave the details of that story for him to share. But I will say
that it took a bit of a leap of faith on his, Greg Hupe's, and Eric
Wichman's parts to search in an area I recommended to them (based on
radar), given that it was over 3 miles from the nearest prior find.
(Psychologically, it is much easier to hunt with confidence when you
are searching an area surrounded by other known finds.)

Bottom line is that this find ended up being a significant strewn field
extender, and I'm thankful to Michael, Greg and Eric for diverting
valuable time they could have spent in more productive areas in an
attempt to validate my interpretation of the NEXRAD data. I am quite
relieved that their efforts were not in vain! Their success alone
was most gratifying from a theoretical analysis standpoint; to actually
be sent a slice from that find was (in the words of MasterCard) ...
priceless.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU!

--Rob