[meteorite-list] Best Meteorite hunting handheld MD??

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 12:39:26 -0400

Hi Joe,

Good topic. It will be interesting to hear if any of the prolific
hunters share their detector observations.

I do have some metal detecting experience with treasure hunting and
relic hunting, but not with meteorites. But I do have a general
observation to share, based on first hand experience and "armchair
theory" about meteorites. Metal detectors are an old technology and
the fundamental principles have not changed since the days of finding
mines in WWII. Discriminator circuitry has come a long way, but the
detector is about the same. To a metal detector, a stony meteorite
with iron content will probably "resemble" scrap iron, nails, etc. A
detector on a gold setting or tuned to discriminate out "junk" iron,
might overlook a stony meteorite or give weak feedback. So, in
armchair theory, I'd think that having the latest treasure-hunting
discriminator circuitry would be secondary to depth/reach and other
more practical criteria like comfort/weight. I read a comparison
review online somewhere (I'll have to dig up the link) that compared
various metal detectors for finding different types of meteorites
buried at different depths - and the older, less-sophisticated
detectors held up very favorably to the newer and much more expensive
detectors. The only problem is, the older detectors (like the old
Whites) are not very ergonomic, and swinging one around all day would
require Schwarzenegger-like arms. My stepson owns 2 Tesoros - a
little Compadre with a tiny coil and a Cibola with a slightly-larger
coil. Both are lightweight and the Compadre is almost toylike in size
and feel - but yet both are very capable detectors, especially the
Cibola, which has surprising depth. If a meteorite ever needs chasing
in Florida, I'll grab one or both of them to take with me - not
because they would be my first choice, but because they are what I
have access to and I think they would work better than no detector for
finding most meteorites. :)

I've certainly found a lot of junk with the Compadre. LOL

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG