[meteorite-list] Best Meteorite hunting handheld MD??

From: Joe Kerchner <skyrockmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 09:20:21 -0700 (PDT)

    I use the Minelab Xterra-70. I believe it is the best meteorite hunting hand-held. I can set it to discriminate everything except for meteorites. When I have it set to find only meteorites, I get very very few signals from other iron, once in a while I will get a signal for iron that has chrome on it, not sure why.
     While in WI, I used it quite a bit in the trees and tall grass, and hay fields. I only got a couple signals the entire time. While other detectors got many many signals. If I didnt have mine to double check the others, they may have spent all day digging. Even though not many hunters up in WI are using detectors, I was part of the time. After all, if I wasn't using it, I would not have found my 332g stone, it was completely buried, with no sign of disturbance at the surface.
   I know a few people who had Gold Bugs up there, but didnt use them because of all of the iuron junk in the ground up there, I used mine and found less than 5 pieces of scrap iron(fencing, old cans, much more).
I was wondering what others use.
     I VERY HIGHLY recommend using the Xterra-70(now the Xterra 705) for meteorite hunting, it is very light weight, has changeable coils, very highly tuned discriminating options, very accurate. I love this thing. One of the other guys I was with this last trip was wishing he had an Xterra.
      There were very few hunters using detectors at all in WI, not sure why with all of the forest, tall grasses, and hay fields in the heart of the strewnfield. I think if more people would have been using an Xterra or another good discriminating MD there would have been many more finds made, I am sure of it.

 Best Wishes,
Joe Kerchner
http://illinoismeteorites.com
http://skyrockcafe.com