[meteorite-list] This is fun to read...

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 15:03:49 -0700

Hi Count, List,

Not sure... I thought about the entrapment argument, however if that
were the case, than the prostitution stings, and the car theft stings
would be challenged. Some are challenged, but most stick don't they?

On the other hand buying something that is "already" listed for sale
wouldn't be considered entrapment, even if you suspected it was a fake,
would it? The certainty of authenticity is not there. Though the
argument could also be made that the buyer would have a "reasonable
doubt" that it may NOT a real meteorite BEFORE they buy it, meaning they
hoped to catch them in the act of defrauding them. Hmmm... I'd say it's
a gray area, and most likely will come down to whether or not the item
is what it's claimed to be. The black and white of it is that the seller
listed the item, claimed it to be one thing, and if it turns out
otherwise it "could" be considered fraud. UNLESS the seller claims he
didn't know it wasn't a real meteorite and that they actually "believed"
it to be a meteorite, therefore in their mind the intent to defraud was
never there and could be claimed a mistake. But you could argue that
it's the same as selling a car when in fact it's a boat and not a car at
all...

See how convoluted it could become?

Regards,
Eric