[meteorite-list] Regarding WI Hunting Stats

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:52:51 -0700 (PDT)

List,

? I've enjoyed reading the preliminary "hunting stats" for the Wisconsin stones.? Just as many other members had done, I previously sent my "basic stats" to Rob Matson for inclusion in his first go at getting the "total weight and number of stones to date tally". I just now sent my more detailed and broader-scope stats to Eric, as I hope many others have as well. I'm sure we are all looking forward to his upcoming compilation results.?

? A few members have mentioned their estimation that it took "about 100 miles of walking to find each stone" (at least for them). As I look over my numbers, I find that in THAT regard, I did a little better. I found my 1st stone after only about 3 hrs searching, and maybe 5 miles walking. Over all for my 2 stones, I averaged 16hrs of hunting, and ~ 30 miles walking for each one. BUT..... I didn't do very well at all in "total weight found", since my finds only weighed 3.2g and 11.8g, or 15g total. And unfortunately, when it comes to meteorite finding,..... size DOES tend to matter.? ;-)

? Best,
? Robert Woolard