[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall Frequency

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:10:09 -0700

Hi Listees,

We're all super excited about the WI meteorite fall, what a wonderful
meteorite! Now a "possible" new fall in WI not even a month after the
Livingston fall. And another BIG fireball over Maryland with lots of
reports, some of fragmentation. Throw in Lorton, and a few other BIG USA
fireballs that didn't get chased too hard over the past year, does this
say something to you? Either "The End of The World" is near or there's
something going on here, more so than normal. My question still stands,
and I think it's obvious.

Are we simply noticing more falls, or are more falls happening, thereby
making us more aware? Or both? Or a combination thereof, same number as
normal, yet we're simply noticing more because of the increased
pubilicity. Meteorite Men in my opinion will ultimately be a boon to the
meteorite world, after everyone is done being all whiny about the price
issue, I think what will come of it will be a better understanding of
meteorites as a whole. This increased awareness has helped set off a
storm of controversy, intrigue, and curiosity, the latter of which is
what I believe will win out of all!

I believe there's more meteorite falls being "NOTICED", not necessarily
more falling, but the awareness is such that more people are LOOKING UP!
as is the meteorite world and ultimately the science because of it.

I've been compiling a cursory list of big meteors/fireballs and
meteorite falls, for the last 3 years, but it's a daunting task to keep
it organized, and keep reports from overlapping, as more and more
fireballs are reported. This is part of what the MHA is about... (Don't
know what the MHA is? Read my site!) I wonder is it possible that
someone would step forward to volunteer to help compile this data or
share what data they have. I don't mind compiling it on my own, as I've
done this already for 3 years and will continue to do so, but it'd be
nice if there were more public interest in this area of meteorite
science in my opinion.

We all know there will be many more fireballs/meteorite falls noticed
over the next year.

My prediction: I predict at this rate, possibly having another 3
"recovered" witnessed meteorite falls in the next year here in the USA.
Price will fluctuate accordingly, people will become more educated in
the science of meteoritics, and perhaps more people will focus more on
what counts in the meteorite world rather than whining about what
doesn't! Maybe that last one is a bit too much to ask for...? ;)

Anyone wanna bet on it?

Regards.
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA