[meteorite-list] Franconia Irons - RFSPOD

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 22:45:37 -0500

Hi, Larry, List,

    After looking at the Franconia irons, I have to
admit they are weird bunch of objects, but also
that this one is an order of magnitude weirder
than the others.

    If you arrange a SEM, one quick and convincing
check would be to take along another SaW 005
that no one would doubt was a meteorite and simply
compare the results of the two for non-volatile
elements. I say "non-volatile" because the "flanger"
may have been heated more than others. The more
refractory the element the smaller the chance of
depletion.

    If it is a meteorite, it goes straight to the top of
my list of Uncontestedly Weird Rocks From Space.

Sterling K. Webb