[meteorite-list] FW: Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - May 8, 2010

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 17:18:07 -0400

Hi Larry and List!

I was hoping you would weigh in with more details. I certainly
respect your experience with meteorites and I enjoy your list posts,
so please don't take my naysaying personally. :)

Your details soften my judgement somewhat. First, it was not readily
apparent from the photos, exactly how small the object is. Being so
tiny, in my mind, opens up the door of possibility just a bit.
Because objects so small tend to behave a little differently than
larger objects, when it comes to ablation. It's possible that more
such objects exist, but have been overlooked or missed due to their
tiny size and strange appearance.

But, I have to agree with what Sterling has pointed out, and what I
have read about the formation process of buttons, orientation,
spalling, and other effects. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money
on this being a wrong. But either way, it's an interesting and fun
find worthy of being collected. Some objects, despite being
terrestrial or manmade, are just fascinating to contemplate, with
another example being Joe Kerchner's Mendota meteorwrong. I'd love to
see the lab analysis reports on objects like these.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG