[meteorite-list] Saw Blades

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 00:41:24 -0400

Hi List,

This is my opinion, but I believe it to be correct as it applies to cutting
lapidary rough. Regardless of which brand, and the method of bonding the
diamonds to the blade core (bonded to the blade core by being plated,
sintered, or welded to the core,) one should consider how the blade is being
used before complaining about the short blade life they experience. For
example, dry cutting with a diamond blade that the manufacturer states must
be used with a liquid coolant will typically shorten the useful life of that
blade. The diamonds overheat, crack, and will come off of the blade
prematurely instead of simply wearing down.

If you apply too much pressure when cutting (pushing too hard when feeding
the meteorite manually, or perhaps the autofeed mechanism on the saw is
pushing too fast for the material being cut) - even when using coolant - the
diamonds overheat and come off as when cutting dry, or are simply torn off
by the pressure when feeding the material through the blade too quickly.

And then, different materials will tend to cut faster or slower than others.
How about those blade-killing diamond-bearing Ureillites? When pushing too
hard, or cutting tougher/harder meteorites, two different people using the
same brand and type of blade on the same meteorite can, and will experience
different blade life depending on the material being cut and how quickly
they try to get the job done.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed Deckert