[meteorite-list] Help with Kunya-Urgench

From: hxmendoza <hxmendoza_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:37:22 -0700 (PDT)

Okay so here is my first help request.
A couple of weeks ago at the spring Denver gem and mineral show, I
bought a supposed NWA classified meteorite from a dealer (whom I will
not name as yet). The weather was awful that entire weekend and he
hadn't gotten everything out if his van because if it. So the label
for that endpiece was misplaced. I went back all three days and he had
not found it yet. So we swapped info and he said he would try to find
the label for it well as of today no luck. So I'm starting to think
that my classified NWA that I paid a little over $1.00 a gram for is
inevitably just going to stat an UNWA that I therefore overpaid for.
But I called him a little while ago and now he says he found one
orphaned label that says Kunya-Urgench so he thinks it might be that
but he's not sure.
There are very few pics of Kunya slices on the internet. Of the
polished faces I was able to find only one looked like mine, on the
Met Bulletin. The rest seemed different. Those had alot of white or
gray in the matrix, whereas mine has a predominantly orangish/ tan
matrix with lots of dark brown flecks interspersed throughout. So I'm
doubtful but can't quite rule it out because of the one little
pictured slice that does look like mine.

So, does anyone have any Kunya-Urgench, or have any experience with it
that if I sent you pics of my endpiece you could help me rule out or
in this murky ID? Oh and the outside crust looks like what you see on
NWA's in color and texture.

HELP!!

On a good note. I did get a nice Crusted fragment of Trilby Wash from
him. Larry Sloan was there and verified that one.

Regards,
Henry Mendoza

Sent from my iPod