[meteorite-list] Fossils on Mars?

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

Xeno biology????

If life ever began on Mars, I believe that it will still be there. The climate cannot have changed quickly enough to extinguish microbial life and it should thrive there not just cling on to existence.

I accept that the magnetite found in "martian fossils" could be a local adaptation of martian bacteria to localised magnetic anomalies and that these could coincide with methane emissions discovered recently.

What I object to is the constant use of these principles (though I accept them, I do not believe them) to suggest that we cannot send a manned mission to Mars.

The very idea that a martian microbe could be pathogenic when it would be clearly adapted to a cold dry environment is absurd.

I would bet my life on Mars being sterile.
Even if I turned out to be wrong, I'd go double or quits on any Martian vector being unable to attack a Terran organism kept in an environment akin to it's home (eg humans at room temp and pressure)

Rob Mc