[meteorite-list] Opinions on this...

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 16:22:28 -0400

Maybe it's a cast of a meteorite sculpture done by the lost wax process. I
would say it could be a cast of a real meteorite, but the regs just don't
look quite right. It's been pointed out they don't flow correctly. I get
the same feeling from this I get from looking at a Picasso or Van Gogh
forgery, (lots of them on eBay), it's sort of like the real thing, but you
know it's not authentic. It looks like someone's idea of what an iron
meteorite should look like. Apart from the overall bad first impression, I
think the effect would have been better if they had sanded down the ridges
of the questionable regmaglypts and plugged all the popped bubble holes!

After hearing the story, I think the guy's a scammer.

It is, however one of the more interesting meteorwrongs (meteoforgery,
pseudosiderite, ersatzeroid, facsimilite, replicaerolite,
cosmocounterfeit ), that I've seen in awhile.

Phil Whitmer