[meteorite-list] NWA Meteorites

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:24:40 -0400

Greetings Aziz and List!

The meteorites from NWA have been a boon to collectors and science
alike. Despite some of the misconceptions about provenance, their
importance cannot be overlooked. This is a special time to be a
meteorite collector and I feel fortunate to have NWA meteorites
represented (in force) in my collection. In the days before the
internet and the Saharan gold rush, owning large specimens of rare
types was an impossibility for most private collectors. Now, thanks
to Morocco, I can possess large baseball-sized carbonaceous chondrites
(like NWA 6026) that were previously unavailable to the average
collector. All of the most exotic types are now represented in
collection cabinets in private homes, universities, and museums.

It is timely that you mention this, Aziz, because I am working to
produce a tribute (of sorts) to the NWA Saharan meteorites and their
origins. I will make an announcement on the list when this project is
ready for the public. :)

FWIW, I could sing praises to the NWA meteorites, but nobody can do it
more eloquently than Martin Altmann - his expertise and views on the
NWA meteorite dynamic explain the benefits of this exchange far better
than I can.

Best regards and happy huntings!

MikeG