[meteorite-list] [2nd Sighting] Fireball in Florida Tuesday night

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:15:02 -0700

Hi Greg,

I have one report, and another I found online. I sent you an email.

Florida is my old stomping grounds! I'm from Jacksonville, and spent a
lot of time in Gainesville, Lake City, Middleburg area, so if you need
someone with a good familiarity with the area let me know...

Regards,
Eric

On 3/31/2010 2:53 PM, Greg Hupe wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> The section of Route 17 she was on was about 4 or 5 miles south of Hwy
> 98. Route 17 does wind around a bit at the location of sighting, and
> so does Hwy 98. She said they were heading north at that time so at
> least their sighting, along with your friend's, should suggest
> material landed in the state somewhere between Gainesville and Sebring
> (a huge area with lots of lakes!).
>
> A few more sightings put on the map I provided should start to put the
> picture together (How about your witnesses, Eric?).
>
> Best regards,
> Greg
>
> ====================
> Greg Hupe
> The Hupe Collection
> NaturesVault (eBay)
> gmhupe at htn.net
> www.LunarRock.com
> IMCA 3163
> ====================
> Click here for my current eBay auctions:
> http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnaturesvault
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu>

>>> of
>>> Sebring. She confirmed, along with her husband on the phone, that it
>>> fell
>>> around 9:30 pm straight down (towards north), but slightly to the right
>>> (east). They saw the fireball moving and then "light up" before
>>> disappearing
>>> on the horizon. They did not see it fall into pieces like Larry's
>>> friend
>>> did
>>> up in Gainesville so It fell closer to Gainesville opposed to Sebring.
>>>
>>> Here is a link to an image I put together using Larry's witness
>>> report and
>>> mine to show fall directions from these two witnesses . I tried to
>>> load on
>>> Google Earth satellite image but after re-installing everything on my
>>> computer last week, I can not make Google Earth work properly. I am
>>> trying
>>> Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, but neither seems to let me
>>> use the
>>> Push-Pin option while viewing in satellite view. No time to mess
>>> with it
>>> now, have to pack for a trip somewhere else, leaving tomorrow.
>>> http://www.lunarrock.com/floridafireball3-30-10/florida3-30-10.jpg
>>>
>>> I would check for radar images from Ocala, Orlando, Tampa and Lakeland.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> ====================
>>> Greg Hupe
>>> The Hupe Collection
>>> NaturesVault (eBay)
>>> gmhupe at htn.net
>>> www.LunarRock.com
>>> IMCA 3163
>>> Click here for my current eBay auctions:
>>> http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnaturesvault

>>> EDT. Path of the object was almost straight down & it was about 35 deg