[meteorite-list] Central Florida bolide of 30 March 2010

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:12:45 -0700

Hi Greg,

I agree with your interpretation -- since fragmentation was witnessed
in Gainesville, and not in Sebring, all things being equal I would
place the fall closer to Gainesville. (An exception might be if the
Gainesville observer could see closer to the geometric horizon than
could the Sebring driver.)

As for direction, County Rd. 17 (southeast of Sebring) occasionally
heads to the NW rather than due north, and since the due north
direction would not intersect the line-of-sight of the Gainesville
observer, I'm inclined to believe she was on a portion of the road
that was heading NW or NNW at the time of the fall.

I'm guessing the fall would be somewhere in the vicinity of Ocala.
I'll check the real-time Doppler radar data to see if anything is
there. (I'm expecting nothing will show up.) The higher-quality,
multi-elevation-angle Doppler data will be available starting
tomorrow, and I can check it then. --Rob