[meteorite-list] [2nd Sighting] Fireball in Florida Tuesday night

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:06:28 -0400

Hello All,

I interviewed someone today in Florida (in person) who witnessed last
night's fireball in Florida. Here are the coordinates from where this person
witnessed it near Sebring, FL:
 27?23'48.91"N
 81?24'4.84"W

This lady and her husband were driving north on County Road 17 just south of
Sebring. She confirmed, along with her husband on the phone, that it fell
around 9:30 pm straight down (towards north), but slightly to the right
(east). They saw the fireball moving and then "light up" before disappearing
on the horizon. They did not see it fall into pieces like Larry's friend did
up in Gainesville so It fell closer to Gainesville opposed to Sebring.

Here is a link to an image I put together using Larry's witness report and
mine to show fall directions from these two witnesses . I tried to load on a
Google Earth satellite image but after re-installing everything on my
computer last week, I can not make Google Earth work properly. I am trying
Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, but neither seems to let me use the
Push-Pin option while viewing in satellite view. No time to mess with it
now, have to pack for a trip somewhere else, leaving tomorrow.
http://www.lunarrock.com/floridafireball3-30-10/florida3-30-10.jpg

I would check for radar images from Ocala, Orlando, Tampa and Lakeland.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection