[meteorite-list] The Sniper Mentality

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

John,

That has been my experience too.? I've seen people bid early, and then come back and keep bidding up and up (not the "bid early with your max" strategy).? And a few of them will wait till the last few minutes and in a frenzy, bid past what is reasonable (either because they don't know what they're bidding on, or because of?the issue you describe, or...?).? And yes, sometimes after such an event, the seller?contacts me and says they didn't pay...

I now use a program that only charges me about ?$0.25/win (nothing if I lose).? Since using it, I've increased my wins and hardly ever pay my max, so it seems to me that there are folks out there who have some sort of bidding addiction or the like.

If I lose, then I know for sure that someone wanted it more than I was willing to pay.? Unlike before when I bid my max early, and I went back at the end and discovered?that someone beat me by bidding against me multiple times in the last minutes at odd intervals (which indicates they weren't using a sniping program).

And I've determined to bid only my max, because if I go beyond that, I assume that there are folks out there who use a snipe program and put in a crazy bids so they can't?be beat?(so if you get two of them, someone is going to get burned).? ;-)

Clear skies,
Mark