[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:18:04 -0800 (PST)

I remember that ancient Magellan GPS in the image with the 1.3 gram whopper. I tried to give it away while we were in the disputed zone between Algeria and Morocco and there were no takers. They only wanted magnets and other useful supplies like our shoes. Although this unit has gotten me out of the desert alive several times, the nomads can't read or write so a GPS would be worthless weight to them. They use a different type of navigation system called their brains. It is amazing how good their memory is. I recall them taking us to a small crater they have not been to in years or showing us exactly where a petite, seemingly insignificant meteorite like the small half of NWA 1195 was found only to return later and find the larger half.

The collection of meteorites has been going on a lot longer than GPSs have been around.

Best Regards,

Adam