[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:49:09 +0100

Carl,

recording coordinates is absolute standard.
It's very important information, for various reasons, which were explained
here on the list.

Debate is.
There is a group of meteorites, which comes without coordinates, those from
Sahara. Called NWA.

And we saw here in the discussion some diametral opinions about them.
Some say, they shouldn't be picked up anymore, because of the missing
coordinates, others say they are scientifically much to valuable to leave
them there.

And two other points we discussed.
Some say, that it would be also a problem in the US-desert, that people are
collecting meteorites without taking coordinates.

There btw. I'm curious, how many people at all are going to search there for
meteorites?
Any estimates?

I would think, that is such a weird spare time activity, that not directly
many would go out to hunt for meteorites. I'd suppose people would look for
things, which commonly are more known - artefacts, gold, fossils, rocks.
I mean - who at all, know what a meteorite is? And how to recognize a
meteorite. If you don't know, what you're looking for, it's somewhat
difficult to find somthing
Also I think, that meteorite hunting is somewhat frustrating occupation for
normal people, cause they are so rare.

I'd suppose, here on the list are already present the best U.S.-hunters.
Very responsible people.
And else maybe some collectors, who spend a few days a year there.

If I read some emails here, I get the impression, that the U.S.-deserts
would be populated each day by hundreds, if not thousands of meteorite
hunters.
Is that so?
Or do we see a problem, where no problem exists?

And second question was, do laws forbidding any meteorite hunt help, that
finds get coordinates.

I suppose. No.

The independently data published by scientists show,
that virtually nobody else is and was finding meteorites than private
people. Only in Antarctica there are searchs going on and a few weeks a year
a small grouplet of scientists in Oman.
So if laws will forbid any hunt, there will be no meteorites anymore.
This is a method to avoid finds without coordinates, because it avoids, that
meteorites are found. Not so helpful - meteorite science is called meteorite
science - because they do research on meteorites.

And the other problem is - if there would exist people ignoring the laws and
continuing hunting - the danger is real, that they would obscure the find
places and would tend to declare, that the meteorites were found elsewhere,
where it is still legal.
So I think it would even worsen the situation.

Australia is an example, aside the prohibitive export laws there exist local
laws, which don't allow ownership by the finders.

Australia was a grand and traditional meteorite nation. A whole continent
and full of desert.
With all the laws, the effect was, that suddenly no meteorites were found
anymore. Less than 1 new find per year.
One could conjecture, that such a miserable and for such a historically
glorious meteorite nation absolutely ignoble find rate can't be possible.
And that more meteorites were found the last 10 years than only 7.
But because of the laws - we never will get to know that.
Cause people might have not declared their finds, cause they wouldn't be
allowed to keep some material.
So all in all a horrible loss, not only of coordinates, but of new
meteorites and possible and probable new meteorites.

Or imagine the Omani petition, that MetSoc should only recognize and publish
still the finds of the Suisse team.
If that would happen, it would be a catastrophe.

Best,
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----