[meteorite-list] Request > Glorieta Mountain strewnfield map

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:16:10 -0500

Once everybody gets all the anger out of their systems, the time comes
for all interested parties to work within the existing framework of
laws, regulations, and precedents and help develop a permitting process
that allows meteorite hunting under certain conditions. If I were
drafting this, it would at least include provisions requiring
environmentally responsible collection methods, accurate documentation
(photography, gps, mass), registration of find info within some time
period, the right of first refusal for up to half of each object by the
Smithsonian, and mandatory deposition of 20 g/20% in an institutional
collection (including any material accepted by the SI).

I think reasonable people recognize that these meteorites belong to the
people of the US, but that specimens would mostly not be found without
the efforts of private citizens. A good policy would continue to reward
those who find these objects on behalf of the people, but also prevent
the loss of scientific information and significant specimens.

The question becomes, how can a reasonable regulation and permitting
process be created? I'll discuss this with my colleagues in DOI and the
SI, and perhaps groups like the IMCA can help lobby for this as well. I
think it is quite achievable.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383