[meteorite-list] [NWA 4301~Zakłodzie] Related Meteorite Falls ~300 years apart

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:47:51 -0500

Dear List Members,

Here is the example of related falls that I am familiar with. This is part
of the description I use for eBay auctions of NWA 4301:

NWA 4301 ~ Zak?odzie:

NWA 4301, an exceedingly rare Ungrouped Enstatite-rich Achondrite found in
Algeria in 2006 by nomadic tribesman. NWA 4301 is nearly identical to
Zak?odzie, both in mineral composition and terrestrial age, about 300 years
(The same scientist at NSF Arizona AMS Laboratory measured the terrestrial
age dates of both meteorites). If they had not fallen 3000 km apart, NWA
4301 would have been considered a pairing. While that is unlikely,
scientists agree they are most likely source launch-paired! The Total Known
Weight of NWA 4301 consists of a single 685 gram stone.

Close-up view of polished slice of NWA 4301 (depth of field = 2cm across):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4301/nwa4301closeup.jpg

Scientists write:

?This meteorite [NWA 4301] is essentially a clone of Zak?odzie, for which?a
very young terrestrial age of several hundreds of years [was found] (even
though it is weathered to some extent). I presume that the terrestrial ages
of these two are analytically distinguishable, but it could still be that
they are launch-paired.?

?NWA 4301 seems much fresher than Zak?odzie??

?I believe that the [terrestrial ages] are permissive of both stones being
part of the same fall, but landing 3000 km apart in Poland and Algeria. Of
course there is a very large uncertainty, so it does not prove it, but the
two meteorites are remarkably similar and different from anything else.?

<<

I find this case to be very interesting!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection